Friday, January 28, 2011

The L.A. Version of Runway










So I finally tracked down a video of the fashion show I was privileged enough to be in last November - it was on YouTube - who knew?

Since it was my very first solo show, I thought I'd share a bit about it.

It all happened very fast - I responded to a craigslist ad on a sunday, and was selected to be in the show that evening.  Tuesday I met with the stylist and the models where we chose the outfits for each of the girls.  Of course, the stylist and I didn't exactly see eye to eye on the concept, but that wasn't important - what was important was that Linden was having a public debut in Hollywood.

A really interesting thing has happened in LA - its so common for clubs and bars to put on fashion shows year round and not just be dedicated to organized tents and runways during fashion week.  It's a little refreshing, actually, for small designers to have venues where their clothing can be seen by the consumers themselves and not just the fashion elite.


So back on track, I showed up at the venue early - too early of course - parked*, and rolled racks into the venue.  I spent the next several hours with my mother and some backstage assistants steaming while the models had hair and makeup done, and then dressing the models once they were ready.  And then, we were all ready...and still ready...and still ready.  So we had a bit of a late start, but when it finally happened, I was backstage with the dressers, my stomach in knots, my hands shaking, and finally it was done and I had to walk out and wave at the crowd.  I stood out there for the finale with the models for what felt like ages, I could hear my close friends and family screaming every time I looked in their direction.  I went backstage, took some photos with the models and then joined the party where I had an excited group of friends waiting for me.  I'd never felt more justified in my choice to start a line than right there when I heard about the audience reaction from my friends, and even got to see the stunned looks on their faces.  Truly a memorable experience.




**It was almost a perfect night until about 30 minutes after the show I was asked to clean up the backstage area.  I packed everything up and took it all to my car, to learn I'd been towed.  WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment